Sanibel Island Food Tour

I feel after yesterday’s Cow Shit Corner Award that it was time for some positivity here on the blog.

Here goes!

I had the biggest surprise while spending time on Sanibel Island.  That little island has really tasty eats. I’m not kidding! Delicious.

Our first day we rode bikes around the island.  Sanibel is great for this.  There are bike paths everywhere, and the biggest surprise for me is that tourists and locals alike slam on their brakes to let you cross. That is so not New England!

In the middle of the ride, we got a tad hungry so we stopped at Schnappers Hots, this great little hot dog and hamburger stand for a snack.  This is their original:

Let’s get this straight, I am not a lover of the hot dog.  It may have been from reading Sinclair Lewis’s The Jungle about the meatpacking industry in Chicago at the turn of the century, or maybe it’s because growing up a ate about a thousand of these slathered in mayo-a trick I learned in Pennsylvania with my cousins.  Surprise, this particular hot dog was the most delicious thing I’ve ever eaten on a bike trip.  It was sweet and spicy at the same time with just the right amount of snap.  I heard people talking about how they import the dogs from New York City.  I don’t doubt it.

That is not the end of the greatness.  Oh no, it’s not.  We stumbled upon the Sanibel Farmers’ Market.  Now let’s just get this straight, if I see a sign for a Farmers’ Market, I will go.  I will go even if I’m not hungry, even if I don’t have kitchen to cook anything.  That’s just how I roll.  This market was a wonder, reminding in a odd way of the markets in France.  They local veggies, warm doughnuts dipped in sugar, fresh cheese.  They had handmade Slim Jims!  I could go on and on.

I’ve been following the local food truck craze from afar since we don’t have them in Portland yet.  Then I saw one over in the corner.

The Nosh Food Truck had all the things I love on a menu-unusual combinations of tasty whole foods.  We opted for the chicken tacos with kimchi and this awesome sauce (That for the life of me I can’t remember what it’s called!).

This photo does not do this dish justice.  The chicken was ultra spicy which went really well with the fermented kimchi, while the sauce cooled everything down.  The corn tortillas tasted like Mexico. We kind of wished for beer eating these, but stuck with a cold Coke.

Yes, Sanibel Island Food Tour.  More tomorrow…

About julietruekingsley

This entry was posted in food, Travel, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Sanibel Island Food Tour

1. Lenore Diane says:

The hot dog looks great! I love the idea of a pickle inside the bun. I’m not a hot dog lover, either – tend to avoid ‘em, in fact. But, the photo tweaks my taste buds to the point that I must try it!
    And the chicken looks incredibly juicy. Good stuff!!

2. lulu says:

Reading this made me homesick. I grew up in Ft. Myers and Sanibel was a favorite destination. To this day it is one of my most favorite places. Who would have guessed Sanibel would have anything that resembled a farmers’ market.

3. We’ve vacationed in Sanibel three times and agree that biking around the island, stopping for an occasional bite, is always a favorite. It’s what draws us back. (…along with the ocean, beach and seashells!)

4. Gretchen says:

I love Sanibel!!! When we lived in Miami when I was a kid, we would spend Thanksgiving there…pack up our smoker and head across Alligator Alley, stop at a little country stand for some boiled peanuts, and …..ahhhh! We’d smoke our turkey on the beach, get some gulf shrimp to eat during football games, and go out searching for amazing shells. My dream was to find a big conch shell. The torture was going to Ding Darling on long birding walks with my mom. Those bike trails are the best…we Hartleys are ready for another visit.

5. MarketingMichele says:

Crazed writer living on the coast of Maine! Attempting to blog daily in fifteen minutes or less.” – I feel a lot like this but have not expressed it. Years back I worked on Sanibel Island, and I remember all of those bicycle riders. My view was that they were all riding around hoping to find a fish sandwich and an ice cream cone… I love what you discovered on your visit, and I will definitely try the Schnapper Hots, one day soon. :)

6. Unless they’ve changed brands over the last year, Schnappers uses Sahlen’s hot dogs, which are from Buffalo. People think all that Buffalo has to offer are chicken wings, snow, and a football team that just never can quite get it together. But that just isn’t so. We have amazing hot dogs too!!

7. Mr. Gold says:

Glad you’re enjoying your trip. Great time to go. Not oppressively hot and most Spring Breakers are back home! I’m the son of locals and we were there just last week. We try to frequent the eateries that are open year round for the locals. Our favorite place is the Lazy Flamingo on Periwinkle. They have always been very nice to my parents and my kids love it there.

8. ed hanna says:

I’m a Sanibel local. Love your review, but I believe the hot dogs come from Buffalo? I will have to run down to Schnapper’s and double check!

9. Amy W says:

Hi
    My name is Amy and I’m with Dwellable.
    I was looking for blogs about Sanibel Island to share on our site and I came across your post…If you’re open to it, shoot me an email at amy(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Amy